WRHS Fall Sports
Athletic Directer Jennifer K. Lynch: 508-829-6771 ext. 1629
WRHS 2017 Fall Sports Tryout Schedule
Online Registration: To participate in practices/tryouts, students must register online. Students who are not registered will not be allowed to participate. Activity fee payments will not be accepted until the conclusion of tryouts. Coaches will provide students with the deadline date for activity fees.
Physical Examination: In addition to registering online, students must present a copy of a valid physical to the school nurse before the start of tryouts. Students should have a physical examination performed by their family doctor. A physical examination form should be filled out and signed by the doctor. A copy of the physical should be handed directly to the school nurse. It is the responsibility of the family to ensure that a student has a valid physical on file. Physicals are valid for 13 months to the day of the exam. Students who do not have a valid physical on file will not be allowed to participate in tryouts or practices. Notes from doctors will not be accepted.
The Health Office will be open to collect and verify valid physicals beginning Monday, July 31. Summer Health Office hours are 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
For students unable to see a family doctor, physicals will be offered at the WRHS Health Office on the following times/dates: 10 a.m. to noon Wed., Aug. 9; and 6 to 8 p.m. Tues., Aug. 15. The cost of the physical is $20. Students under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Students must sign up for WRHS physicals during the summer by calling the WRHS main office number, 508-829-6771, ext. 0.
Payment of Athletic Fee: The cost to participate in a sport is $250/athlete per athletic season with a maximum of $350/family per season. People seeking more information about the WRHS athletic program should contact athletic director Jennifer Lynch. After their child has been named to a team roster, parents should pay their child's athletic fee through our Online Payment Center.
Duration of Tryouts: Unless otherwise noted, tryouts will begin Aug. 24. Tryouts will take place as long as necessary to evaluate all candidates, meaning students should be prepared to commit to multiple days of tryouts. Students are expected to attend all tryout sessions.
- Boys Cross Country: All candidates report to the lobby outside the athletic director's office at 9 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 24. The team will also practice at 9 a.m. Friday, Aug. 25, and Monday, Aug. 28. For information, contact coach Brian Wallace, email@example.com.
- Girls Cross Country: All candidates report to the lobby outside the gym at 9 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 24. For information, contact head coach Mike O'Malley, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Field Hockey: All candidates report to the platform in back of the gym at 7:45 for an 8 a.m. start Thursday, Aug. 24. The first tryout session for all students will run from 8 to 10:30 a.m. Students in grades 10, 11, and 12 will also try out from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Contact: Head coach Kerry Berry, email@example.com
- Football: First practice will be from 6 to 8 p.m.Friday, August 18, on Lane (turf) Field. Also, 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 19; and 6 to 8 p.m. Monday, Aug. 21. Player/parent meeting at 8 p.m. Monday, Aug. 21, in the WRHS Auditorium. Contact: Head coach Mike Dubzinski, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Boys Golf: Tryouts for all new players will begin at 9 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 24, at Tatnuck Driving Range, 55 Marshall St., Leicester. While at the range, players will make tee times for open tryouts at Holden Country Club. All returning players will make tee times directly with Coach Guerin. For more information, contact head coach Nick Guerin, email@example.com.
- Boys Soccer: Tryouts are scheduled by school grade. Candidates should attend their grade's scheduled time unless the coaches tell a candidate differently. Players must wear a gray or white shirt and blue, black or green shorts to all tryout sessions. Contact: Head coach Jason Gaumond, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesday, Aug. 22: Mandatory meeting at 7 p.m. in the WRHS auditorium for all players and parents.
- Thursday, Aug. 24: Freshmen report to Lane (turf) Field from 7:15 to 9 a.m. and from 1 to 3 p.m. Sophomores report to Lane Field from 8:45 to 10:30 a.m. and from 1 to 3 p.m. Returning varsity players and new juniors and seniors report to Lane Field from 10:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 3 to 5 p.m.
- Friday, Aug. 25: Freshman report to grass field from 7 to 8 a.m. Returning varsity players and new juniors and seniors report to Lane Field from 9 to 11 a.m. Sophomores report to Lane Field from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Chosen varsity players report for practice to Lane Field from 5 to 7 p.m. Teams will be selected this date.
- Girls Soccer: Tryouts are scheduled by school grade. Candidates should attend their grade's scheduled time unless the coaches tell a candidate differently. Returning varsity players will attend junior/senior or varsity sessions only. Players must wear a gray or white shirt to all sessions; they should bring a soccer ball, running shoes, shin guards and a water bottle. Sunscreen is advised. Contact: Head coach David Gentleman, email@example.com
- Tuesday, Aug. 22: Mandatory meeting at 6 p.m. in the WRHS auditorium for all players and parents.
- Thursday, Aug. 24: freshmen report to track field from 10 a.m. to noon; juniors and seniors report to Lane (turf) Field from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. and from 5 to 7 p.m.; sophomores report to track field from 3 to 4:45 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball: All tryouts will take place in the WRHS gym:
- Thursday, Aug. 24 and Friday, Aug. 25: All sophomores (JV1): 8 to 10 a.m. All juniors and seniors (Varsity): 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. All freshmen (JV2): 2 to 4:30 p.m. Candidates should report to the gym 15 minutes before their start times. All freshmen should have their last names printed on the backs of their shirts for tryouts.
- Friday, Aug. 25: Some sophomores may be asked to attend the Varsity tryout; some freshmen may be asked to attend the JV1 tryout.
- Saturday, Aug. 26 (Last day of JV1 and JV2 tryouts): Freshmen (JV2), 9 to 11 a.m. Sophomores (JV1), noon to 2 p.m. No tryouts for juniors and seniors.
- Sunday, Aug. 27: JV1 practice, 3 to 5 p.m.
- Monday, Aug. 28: all varsity candidates, 2:30 to 5 p.m. JV1 and JV2: first day of practice, 2:45 to 5 p.m. Contact: Head coach Jennifer Burton, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Home Sports Venues: All fall home games take place at Wachusett Regional High School, 1401 Main Street, Holden, MA, except Boys Golf, which plays its home matches at Holden Hills Country Club, 1800 Main St., Holden.
The Wachusett Regional School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, ELL status, housing status, or other protected status in the operation of the educational programs, activities, or employment policies, and no person will be excluded from or discriminated against in admission to its public schools, or in obtaining advantage and privileges in regards to courses of study and extracurricular programs of such public schools on account of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, ELL status, housing status or other protected category.