WRHS Winter Sports
Athletic Directer Jennifer K. Lynch: 508-829-6771 ext. 1629
2018-2019 WRHS Winter Sports Tryouts
Winter Sports registration is now open: All candidates for a WRHS sports team must register online to try out. To access Online Winter Sports Registration, click here.
All candidates must turn in a valid physical examination form to the school nurse. The MIAA requires physical exams every 13 months to the day of the exam. Students are responsible for ensuring their physical is valid for the duration of the season. The student's proof of a physical exam should be completed by the family's physician. This Physical Examination Form may be used if the doctor does not provide his own form.
Students who do not register online and/or do not present a physical examination form to their coaches will not be allowed to participate in tryouts/practice sessions.
NO ONLINE REGISTRATION + NO PHYSICAL = NO TRYOUT
Payment of Athletic Fee: Parents should pay their child's athletic fee through our online payment center. The winter sports payment is due after final cuts are made and the student is selected for a team.
2018-2019 Tryouts: Candidates should report for tryouts according to the schedule below. Unless otherwise noted, all winter sports tryouts begin Monday, November 26.
Tryout sessions will take place for as long as necessary to evaluate all candidates. This means tryouts may be extended for multiple days. Please plan accordingly.
- Alpine Skiing: The first practice is from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 26, in the weight room, followed by a team meeting at 3:45. Actual tryouts will be conducted the first week of on-snow practice. For more information, contact head coach: Yury Vashugin, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boys Basketball: Three days of tryouts beginning Monday, Nov. 26: Freshmen and sophomores will try out from 3:45 to 5 p.m. in the gym. Juniors and seniors will try out from 5 to 7 p.m. in the gym. For more information, contact head coach Tom Gibbons, email@example.com
- Girls Basketball: Three days of tryouts beginning Monday, Nov. 26: Freshmen and sophomores will try out from 2:30 to 3:45 p.m. in the gym. Juniors and seniors will try out from 7 to 9 p.m. in the gym. For more information, contact head coach Jim Oxford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Winter Cheer: Tryouts from 2:45 to 4 p.m. Monday, Nov. 26, and Tuesday, Nov. 27. For more information, contact head coach Holly Boulay, email@example.com.
- Ice Hockey: There will be three days of varsity tryouts. Tryouts begin at 4:10 p.m. Monday, Nov. 26, at Northstar Rink A. A first cut will be made this day. See the Ice Hockey Tryout Schedule for all tryout times and days. For more information, contact head coach Matt Lane: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Girls & Boys Indoor Track: Tryouts/practice for both teams will begin at 2:30 p.m., Monday, Nov. 26, in the gym. For more information, contact head coach Michael O’Malley, email@example.com.
- Swimming: First day of tryouts/practice will run from 2:45 to 4:45 p.m. Nov. 26 at the JCC, 633 Salisbury St., Worcester. All candidates will be evaluated based on their performance and attitude during the the first week of paractice. At tryouts, swimmers will be asked to demonstrate prroficiency in the four competitie strokes; will be evaluated on their ability to complete workouts; and when necessary, will compete in multiple time trials. For more information, contact head coach Jochen Welsch, firstname.lastname@example.org
Winter Sports Expectations
Online Schedules: All WRHS sports schedules are available online. Click here to access complete WRHS schedules. A Parent Guide offers help in navigating the site and gives parents instructions on how to access our schedules and receive updates regarding scheduling changes, postponements, etc.
Winter Sports Home Venues
All home games/meets for basketball and track are contested at Wachusett Regional High School, 1401 Main Street, Holden, MA. Other sports' home venues are:
Alpine Skiing: Ski Ward, 1000 Main St., Shrewsbury
Ice Hockey: Northstar Youth Forum, 15 Bridle Lane, Westborough
Swimming: Worcester Jewish Community Center, 633 Salisbury St., Worcester
The Wachusett Regional School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, ELL status, housing status, or other protected status in the operation of the educational programs, activities, or employment policies, and no person will be excluded from or discriminated against in admission to its public schools, or in obtaining advantage and privileges in regards to courses of study and extracurricular programs of such public schools on account of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, ELL status, housing status or other protected category.