History

The Wachusett Regional School District was formed in 1955 with the Wachusett Regional High School, purpose-built for the new district.  While sharing the high school, the five towns of Holden, Rutland, Sterling, Paxton and Princeton had their own K-8 for 39 years.

1954 Dedication In the early days, the district was decidedly more rural than today, and Future Farmers of America had a chapter here. According to the Dedication Program for the Wachusett Regional High School dated 1954, classrooms included Homemaking, Typing and the Agriculture Shop in addition to Mechanical Drawing and Chemistry.
  
The passage of the Mass Education Reform Act of 1993 that standardized curriculum and policies encouraged the district to move towards complete unification. In 1994, the five towns unanimously agreed to integrate their K-8 programs and we've been a K-12 district ever since.

At 155 square miles, WRSD is the largest school district in Massachusetts by area - the equivalent of 4 Quabbin reservoirs!